It has been a gloomy day in Chatan-cho. The normally vibrant blue, sunny skies have been overcast with thick, gray clouds, thunderstorms and heavy winds. About 235 nautical miles southwest, Typhoon Krosa is traveling across the Pacific. It is expected to reach landfall in Taiwan tomorrow with winds of 114 miles per hour and gusts at over 140 miles per hour. The storm itself is not expected to hit Okinawa, but it will cause high winds, heavy rain and thunderstorms throughout the weekend. According to the Kadena Air Base storm watch site, the winds on the island are currently at 64 miles per hour and may reach upwards of 90 at points during the weekend.
These forceful winds have also brought some changes in the course for Matt and I in the next few weeks. I found out this morning that because of Typhoon Krosa, he will not be coming home in two weeks as originally planned. Instead, his return will be delayed at least a week because of transportation issues caused by the rough weather. For the past four weeks, I’ve been counting down the days, and a couple days ago I was ecstatic because having two weeks left really felt like his return was within reach. Matt said he, and everyone he is stationed with, is very frustrated with the news and they just want to get home.
Like the weather, I’ve been feeling pretty dismal since I knew the change in schedule was definite. However, I also know that I’ve survived a lot of uncertainty and changes of plan over the past few months. I just have to step back, survey the options and change my course. Though I would much rather have Matt home, I am optimistic that I can manage to plan my days in a way that will be positive until his return. The “destination” is for us to finally be together, and after this brief setback, I just need to refill my sails and move along.
1 comment:
That looks ominous! Is that above you just now????!!
Post a Comment