Last night, I unknowingly experienced my first earthquake. I was sitting on the couch watching a movie on television (Proof with Anthony Hopkins and Gwenyth Paltrow - very good by the way) and I felt the couch vibrate for about twenty seconds. It wasn't anything remarkable, just like vibration from clothes dryer spinning or a car starting downstairs. Nothing rattled or fell or did any of the other dramatic things you see in the movies or on TV. In fact, I didn't even think to mention it to Matt when I talked to him less than half an hour later.
This morning, when Brittany picked me up she asked me if I had felt the earthquake. Until she said it happened just before 8 p.m. our time, I had shrugged my shoulders. I told her about the vibrations and she said that is what a tremor feels like and that they occur all the time on the island. According to the National Earthquake Information Center, our quake measured a magnitude of 5.3 on the Richter scale - which is considered moderate-sized.
3 comments:
cool! I guess Hollywood is a bit dramatic in its interpretations then?
I think it depends solely on the magnitude. The Richter scale actually lists effects next to each level on the chart. The moderate range (5.0-5.9) shows shaking, rattling, etc. Whereas, a level 8, like the earthquake in Indonesia last month can cause dramatic destruction.
Wow, that's kind of cool!
Well, as long as they stay low on the Richter scale, at least. :)
Post a Comment