Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Climate Shock: The Chill Factor

Today my quest is to find a coat to wear so I am not constantly shivering in the cool Edinburgh air. A few months ago, when I was making decisions as to what of my clothing would be shipped to Okinawa and what would go to storage, I packed away most of my cool weather clothing and coats in favor of clothes that would suit me in a subtropical climate. Little did I know then that I would be spending three weeks in Scotland. When I did know this, it was too late - all of my warm clothes, albeit a few light sweaters and a jacket, were packed away in a storage unit in Portsmouth. Needless to say, I have spent my first few days here rubbing my arms and hands together and borrowing Katie's coats. Yesterday, after I visited the palace, I bought a latte to keep my hands warm on the walk home.

I think my sensitivity to the climate is compounded by my year in realtively temperate Portsmouth, visits to hot Jamaica and San Diego, and two weeks in humid Okinawa. I have become accustomed to high 80+ degree weather, and Edinburgh has at most mustered a high in the mid-sixties. Yesterday morning, it was 47 degrees. Don't get me wrong, I love the cool mountain breezes, they are what I grew up with, but it's a shock to the system when you've been gallivanting about without nary a scarf or gloves for over a year. Since landing, I've been murmuring about getting a trench coat and have looked a couple when we've been out and about. However, I have decided today is the day - I will not shiver, shake or wear all of my clothing simultaneously any more. Katie has armed me with information on some stores and their locations and after some breakfast, I wll be on my way.

5 comments:

Tina said...

I could use some of that cool air! It was in the 90's yesterday I think. I sat for 2 1/2 hours in a heated pool room while the kids had swimming lessons. It was sauna temperature! Where is fall?

Kat said...

Fall is here...the leaves are changing!!

Shannon said...

Ahhh - fall won't come to that part of Virginia until October or early November. I don't think I even mustered a light jacket until December in Portsmouth.

Tina said...

Have I mentioned how much I hate the warm weather year around! When you are a casper white fatty, layers and cool weather are your friend...ahhh the joys of a military lifestyle . A different climate every few years. So did you find a cute little trench?

Shannon said...

Pictures of cute trench coming soon!