Sunday, January 29, 2012

Virginia Weekend

     Pinkies up at the Olde World Tea Company

          When I think of exploring historical Virginia, images of Monticello and Colonial Williamsburg immediately flash through my mind. Though I have certainly made a point to visit both of those history-rich locations (just a few times), our area is also full of smaller, but equally historic gems that can make for pleasant weekend adventures.
       On Saturday morning, I headed to Smithfield with my fellow Moms on Point Steering Team members for our leadership retreat. Our destination was the Olde World Tea Company, but we had a fun car ride through a little bit of the Suffolk countryside. There are several large, old farmhouses and barns along the way that I admire, and the weather was clear and rivers sparkling in the sun.
      Smithfield, known as the "ham capital of the world" for its eponymous pork products, has a main street lined with boutiques and cafes in restored houses from the Colonial, Federal and Victorian eras. The Olde World Tea company is in one of these quaint houses, and we spent a refreshing morning sampling some fine teas and treats (I highly recommend the formosa oolong and sweet potato pot de creme). It was good to catch up with friends after the busy holiday season and start talking about our plans for the new semester that starts next Friday. By the end of our retreat, I commented that I felt as relaxed and peaceful as if I had just spent some time at the spa.
       Sunday afternoon was cold and windy, and the perfect time to see a lunch matinee at The Commodore Theatre in Olde Towne Portsmouth. Though I haven't written about Olde Towne on Belletrist, it was my home my first year in Virginia and I adore its restaurants and attractions. The Commodore has been a favorite date location for us for several years. The theater and lobby are a gorgeous Art Deco restoration project that is reminiscent of a Jazz Age supper club. Before the movie begins, you can order a meal or snack from a tabletop phone. We saw the second Sherlock Holmes film, and though I did not like it as much as the first in the series, I was still impressed with the special effects cinematography.
        It was too dark to take pictures of the beautiful curtain or murals in the Commodore, but I was able to snap a shot of Matt ordering our lunch:






No comments: