Monday, January 16, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things...

     I thought it might be fun to post some of the things that have tickled my fancy in the past week. They might not be enough to warrant their own post, but they've certainly caught my interest.

Downton Abbey - My new guilty television pleasure. Originally a British series, the second season just started on PBS in the United States. The clothes! The great house! The English countryside! Those things alone make it aesthetically pleasing enough to tune in. However, the storyline, set in the Edwardian era, balances a fair amount of social and political history with its soapy drama. The first season is available on Netflix, and I caught up during a rainy weekend marathon with lots of cookies and hot tea.

Pinterest - My friend Keeley mentioned this website to me while we were at the gym. Basically, it is an online resource to share and collect ideas for every sort of interest. It's part social networking (since you can "like" and comment on others' posts) and part inspiration file (since you can collect and sort pictures of ideas, projects and tips into different categories on your boards). I've found loads of ideas for sewing and cooking, as well as activities for Christopher. Now if I can only stop collecting and start implementing :).

Cast Iron Dutch Oven - I made the most delicious and easy dinner in my new 6.5 quart cast iron dutch oven last week. I've collected several recipes over the years that require a dutch oven, but since I didn't have one, they remained untested in my recipe binder (from the days of yore before Pinterest). Matt and I found one a cheery red one at a very reasonable price, and my inaugural meal was such a success that I imagine it will quickly become a favorite piece of cookery in my kitchen. There is something homey about preparing an entire meal in one pot, and I felt like a real cook when I lifted the lid to poke the meat and vegetables around with my bamboo spoon.

Banana Republic - Some lovely people gave me Banana Republic gift cards for Christmas. When I went to use them, I discovered that they were having an amazing sale with many items that were an additional 50% off their sale price. I was able to get a perfect dinner dress for $30. While I was making that purchase, I took in the new arrivals and was excited to see lots of nautical details and navy blue. I've been working on incorporating more navy in my wardrobe since it isn't as stark as black with my pale complexion. Even the most casual styles look crisp in navy. I will definitely be stopping back in Banana Republic for some new Spring clothes.

1 comment:

A Forever Journey said...

Oh, Pinterest. How I love thee :)