Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hello! Kitty: Capitalizing Kawaii on Kokusai


In my reading on Japanese aesthetics, the idea of "kawaii" (pronounced kah-wah-ee) is credited as the driving force in Japanese consumer culture. Though defined with a string of adjectives (try "dear, darling, lovely, charming, attractive, winning"), the easiest way to understand the essence of kawaii can be summed up in one word: CUTE.

In Japan, the cute factor is extremely high and can be found almost everywhere - even on signs for road construction and the logos of rental car companies. It often determines the success of marketing campaigns and television shows and is considered a desirable trait in the actions of young women. Think of some of the Japanese characters that have entered the mainstream American culture: Pokemon's Pikkachu is cute, cute, cute as is the grand dame of cuteness, Hello! Kitty and her group of adorable animal friends.

During my time here, I have relished in the kawaii that abounds in Japanese culture. I have readily adopted Miffy (a sweet little cartoon bunny) as my kawaii mascot, but Hello! Kitty (who I am posed with here on Kokusai Street) is also a favorite. However, Matt remains for the most part unaffected. His only comment in response to all of the kawaii that surrounds us :"Please don't squeal like that again."

Hello! Kitty dressed as a girl shisa. Doesn't that little red paw look so cute?


Hello! Kitty dressed as a boy shisa. They aren't ferocious like most shisa, but fun nonetheless.

3 comments:

Kat said...

*SQUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL* sorry Matt....That blue kitty is SO SO CUTE!! I just got some Hello Kitty socks and emerry boards for my birthday...I think I need a hello kitty tattoo....

eamoore1978 said...

Too frikkin' CUTE!!! :D

Kat said...

oops I meant shisa's....