We returned from our long weekend in Kyoto on Monday evening. Although we were happy to be back and snug in our own apartment, I can safely say we left a city that is now very dear to us and that we will remember for a long time to come. We had an incredible time and took over 4G of pictures on our new digital camera. I can't wait to share some of our favorites on the blog, but for the sake of finishing up my independent study, I am going to wait until next week when my papers are turned in and I'm free of academic responsibility.
Now that we are back on Okinawa, we have barely had time to unpack before Matt was back to the clinic and I had to teach preschool on Tuesday morning. Matt had a relatively easy first morning back with far fewer patients than usual (he saw 274 in March alone), and I was treated to a special surprise at preschool - it was Teacher Appreciation Day! The mothers of the preschoolers I have come to know and adore over the past several months prepared a large basket full of all kinds of treats that they presented to me at the end of the morning. When I got home and examined my gift, I found boxes of chocolates, two cookbooks, bamboo spoons, gourmet cookies and coffee, DVDs, books and more. It was a really, really nice gift, but I hope they know that one of the best things about the entire experience has been the absolute joy of working with their little ones. I always look forward to my preschool mornings and the smile I leave with lasts for days.
The best part of preschool yesterday was the honoring of Mitsukp, the Japanese lady who has been helping with the church's preschool classes for many years and is retiring this month. The other teachers and I lined all of the children up in the hallway and gave them a flower to present to her when they filed in the room. She was in tears she was so touched and I think many of the mothers were misty-eyed as well (and so were a few of the toddlers that didn't want to give up their flowers!). I have had the pleasure of working with her in my room and she is wonderful with the children, so it was great to see her recognized for her work. Did I mention that she's in her late-80's? Indeed, and she can juggle and play ring-around-the-rosy with the spunk of a teenager.
Well, I must get back to writing on Japanese literature. Check back late next week for the start of the Kyoto blogs. I look forward to sharing our adventures in city exploring, sword hunting, kimono dressing and much more with you! Until then, take care and keep in touch!!
No comments:
Post a Comment