My visit to West Virginia this summer has given me the first true sense of homecoming I have felt in returning to my childhood home. Perhaps I was never away long enough for things to perceptibly change or distant enough for me to revisit them fondly. However, this time, I have relished in rediscovering places and things that were once familiar and dear. In trying to explain the experience of growing up in West Virginia, and truly capture its nuances, I often come to a loss of words or struggle to explain it to people who didn’t grow up in this environment. And with those who did, there will always be an instant understanding. I’ve had a complex relationship with my home state, but as anyone who was born here can tell you – it is one that you cannot deny.
Over the next week, I hope to revisit some of the places and things of my childhood and early adulthood on the blog. For now, I’m off to explore some of the unique shops and galleries in downtown Elkins and look for a special piece of West Virginia to take to my new home. My assignment to my WV readers, especially the ones that have lived away (I’m looking at you – Katie, Stephen, Justin, Tina, Laura), is to think of things that made your childhood distinctly WV. For my other readers, I’d love to hear some of the things that were particular to growing up in your native state.
5 comments:
OH! Catching salamanders and crawldaddies in the local creeks, smelling my grandma's homemade bread, camping at Audra State Park, Smelling woodsmoke and hearing tales of the 'olden days', walking train tracks, living with coal dust!, climbing trees, visiting state parks. It's interesting, everytime I go back I find new things. Places I remember fondly I now can see for what they are...very poor areas that aren't kept up or gorgeous scenic parks that I can't understand why the tourist board isn't promoting like mad! Mostly I have to say I miss my family. There's nothing like WV people. Most of them anyway. Of course you have a huge % of schizophrenia and other mental illnesses in WV, but for the most part..those who have stayed out of Pruntytown are good ol boys! They're polite, would do anything for you, cook fresh food everytime you visit! I could go on....
The last part of your comment made me curious, so I looked up some statistics. The national statistic is one in five people with a mental illness and West Virginia in 2006 is actually below the national average at under 14%. WV does however tie for the highest usage of smokeless tobacco - gross!!!
pepperoni rolls! and cocoa wheat. Swimming in the river all summer long (to dirty to let my kids in now :)) Like Katie playing in the creek or crick as my parents call it. Sleigh riding until you were almost frostbit. Riding in the back of my grandpa's pickup (wouldn't let my kids do that one either) Pets that never saw a leash. Knowing everyone in the chuch and neighborhood. Most of all being poor and not knowing it!
Mmmm pepperoni rolls!! Each of the places I have lived outside of WV, I make some (just like my grandma taught me) and wow my friends - especially when they have Oliverio peppers on the side!
oooh Tina, Im there with the being poor and not knowing it. It never dawned on me until college how much I 'didn't' have. Still now I marvel at some people and how much they feel they need to 'just get by' on!
Post a Comment