Monday, March 31, 2008

Anna's Here!!!


Sunday evening, Matt and I headed to Naha to pick up my friend, Anna Blue, from the airport. Anna and I have been friends since we traveled to Austria together on the Alderson-Broaddus Study Abroad program. She called us about a month ago and asked if we would like a visitor and since then, Matt and I have been getting our guest room in order and planning activities to fill her visit.

On Monday, Anna (who is impervious to jet lag) and I walked around the neighborhood and had lunch at Coco Curry and pedicures with Brittany at Cocok Spa. All three of us must have been thinking pink because we each ended up with a different rosy hue on our toes: I opted for cherry blossoms in honor of our upcoming trip to Kyoto, Anna chose sparkly flowers on an "electric magenta" background and Brittany's toes were covered with pink flowers and dots. Later that afternoon, I also made sure to introduce her to Japanese snack foods and infomercials while we relaxed on the couch and caught up on each other's lives.

Shopping and beach walking were the order of the day on Tuesday. We spent some time in Jusco looking through the bin of t-shirts with funny English expressions and racks of clothing that often left us wondering "shirt or dress?" We also walked to Sunset Beach for Anna to get a view of the East China Sea and the Sunabe Sea Wall before heading back to Hana Mansion. We ended our excursion with a ride back to Hana Mansion in a Japanese taxi replete with self-opening doors, white lace seat covers and a lot of pointing to the map from both me and the driver. Banzai!

Toes - the cherry blossoms might be my favorite thus far.

This was an excuse to use the "cuisine setting" on Anna's new digital camera. That is positively the only reason we purchased chocolate and Doritos. 

No comments: