Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: A Year in Review


Moments after this picture was taken on a breezy April afternoon, the course of my life changed. I remember being so blissfully happy when Matt snapped this picture at Clifton Inn. At school, my Jefferson research presentation had been successful and the positive feedback had me soaring. I loved living in Portsmouth and spending time with Zelda, my new friends at school who were dear kindred spirits, and Matt (every moment he wasn’t asleep or at the hospital, of course). Lately, I had liked the fact that I was starting to make decisions based on two people instead of just one. So did Matt, because later, hours after I paused on the Clifton Inn landing, he asked me to be his wife.

Together, Matt and I set out on a path that has taken us across the United States and five countries before finally settling on the other side of the world. As I look back, I can’t believe we have managed to pack so many adventures, celebrations, challenges and memorable moments into just eight months. I have cried so many times this year – from joy, heartbreak, frustration, and every emotion between, that I can probably say that 2007 has been one of my most tear-filled years on record. At the same time, I can also say it was definitely a year that I realized how many people I have in my life that are ready to surround me with love and support – to fly with me when my heart is soaring and pick me up when I stumble. If you are reading this, I can most assuredly say that you are one of these people, and I can’t express enough gratitude for your presence in my life. And I really have to thank God, because he never gave me too much to handle at one time, something would always resolve itself before another thing piled on.

It was a roller coaster year, that 2007, and at times, I wasn’t sure which way I was headed next, but for everything bad or sad, there was something amazingly good. I leave you now with some of the highlights of the best moments of my year. I’ve spent the afternoon lovingly looking through these pictures and remembering the when they were taken - if you see your face somewhere, I hope it takes you back to a moment we shared together. Happy New Year!!!!

Love, Shannon

                Dining Out                                        Zelda-boo           
Engaged! At Monticello! On Jefferson's Birthday!
I knew this was the dress the moment I tried it on (that's Matt on the phone).

               Strother Girls                         Celebrating 60 years of Langford

             Smudge Sisters                             Brainy Beach Babes
"Two become one - Love never ends"
June 30, 2007
                Fine Food                                          First Class Surprise
               Royal Plantation                              Ocho Rios
Jamaican Sky
               Busch Gardens                               Bear Haven
              80's style Setter                              Ladies who Lunch
              Attempting Origami                    Being Aunt Nan-Nan
               Brittany and Alan                         Shuri Castle

Temple of Heaven, Beijing

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This was really, really nice! Your opening message was beautifully stated!

Tina said...

happy new year, wishes for an exciting laughter filled 2008 :)

Kat said...

Oh my God! I still can't do origami!!!! ;-)

Shannon said...

I think we gave it a good try that morning, but we were much more successful at lounging on the couch with tea, chocolates, nail polish and Days. Making paper airplanes for William was a lot more fun than trying to figure out the inside-out, right side out twist manuever :).